That’s right, in the span of two days I have received and opened two Birchboxes! I also received another special package today, but I’m saving that for another post…
This month’s theme is Away we go, and it is all about travel. I am very happy with the sample sizes in this box, especially the shampoo! Without further ado, let’s get into the goodies!
1) The first item that jumped out at me was the Davines – Love Smoothing Shampoo. It is a HUGE sample, enough for 3 or 4 uses (and for someone with a lot of hair like me, that’s saying something!). They also included a packet of the conditioner, which I can probably stretch to two uses, and the OI All in One Milk, which is a leave-in treatment to help tame frizz and soften hair. The shampoo has quite a strong floral smell, but it’s a very pleasant scent and I am looking forward to trying out all 3 products. The best part is that all three items count as one sample, so we still have four to go! [Full size: $24-$28]
2) The next item is yet another perfume sample, which I was disappointed about…until I smelled it. It is the Joie – Folle de Joie Eu de Parfum. When I was a teenager (a decade ago!) I wore a perfume from PacSun called lilu. The scent was very beachy and sweet. This perfume smells EXACTLY like lilu, so it is like a nostalgic blast from the past. The product description says it is “a fresh blend of mandarin, rose, and sandalwood that evokes a carefree, summertime vibe.” I’ll definitely use up this entire sample, but if you like this scent, consider checking out lilu! [Full size: $98]
3) I am not too happy with the third item on my list, which is the LAQA & Co. – Sheer Lip Lube Pencil in Menatour. It is a bright purple color, which I think goes horribly with my skin tone. The product looks ridiculously purple in the tube, but once I swatched it out, it’s more of a neon fuschia color, which is still not appealing. It is also quite matte, even though the product description describes it as “high gloss.” The only thing I do like about it is that it has a minty scent. I doubt I’ll be using this one, but perhaps the other colors in the line would work better for me. [Full size: $18]
4) Yup, it’s Supergoop! again. The same exact sample I got in the May box. I really can’t complain, since I received a pretty great box overall, but I can’t help but be slightly disappointed about not getting a different item. I contacted Birchbox Ops, and they told me that I should have received the “anti-aging” Supergoop sample in my May box. They are sending me that sample now! Mistakes happen, and I’m glad they have great customer service. [Full size: $19]
5) The final item in my box is the Vasenti Cosmetics – BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator. I’ve been really into skin care lately and trying different face masks and treatments, so I’m looking forward to giving this a try. This is similar to a microdermabrasion with extremely fine granules. It has a lot of natural ingredients, including coconut, papaya, and aloe, so I hope my skin likes it! [Full size: $34]
Overall, I’m pretty happy with this box. I am very excited to try and use 3 out of the 5 items (or 5 out of 7 if you count the foil packets). I am indifferent to the sunscreen, and I do not like the lip gloss. The sunscreen is useful, but to me, sunscreen is sunscreen. It does its job. I admit I haven’t tried it yet (haven’t spent much time outside apart from running errands), so maybe my indifference will change to excitement if I find that it does something special for me. I’m fairly confident, however, that the lip gloss will never win me over.
That’s it for Birchbox this month! Let me know in the comments what you got in yours or what you think about my box!
Just received an email from Birchbox apologizing for the mixup with the Supergoop sample. They have credited my Birchbox account 100 points, which equals $10.00 to use in the Birchbox shop!!! I’ve only been with Birchbox for about a month, and so far their customer service is absolutely amazing. So with this $10, plus the $10 I have already earned from reviewing the products from my first two boxes, I redeemed $20 in points and purchased the Benefit Erase Paste for only $6! Plus there is a promotion going on for a free sample of the Benefit They’re Real! Mascara with any Benefit purchase over $25, so I will be receiving that as well. Plus free shipping! I am loving Birchbox so much right now. I can’t wait to receive these products and try them out!